Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Lahori winters

Lahori winters.. not so cold anymore surprisingly. Today i didn't even wear my Chitrali jacket for the most part. I woke up.. had a love fried egg and toast brekkie with Taro chacha n co.. little Asi was still feeling feverish.. poor little angel :) so she didn't eat much.

I left with Aamir the driver around 1130 am and we reached The Polo Lounge by 12. It was exactly the same. Horses being ridden about and polo being played. It was a beautiful day and beautiful weather.

Since i was the only one there, i ordered a guava mint juice and waited, absorbing the green and chilly scape spread before me. It was beautiful.

There were a few extra chairs lying here and there so i pulled one off the heap and settled myself down to enjoy the breeze and the sights. The wind blew softly. The sun was warm and bright but not overpowering. It was a picture perfect winter day. So i did what i do best... sat back and enjoyed it :)
Finally i saw a familiar face peek around the corner, then another and then another.. until we had our assemblage of the veterans core. And it was a beautiful reunion.

Fun was had and fun was made of everyone; present and in absentia lol. I had a lovely stuffed chicken with jalapenos and mushroom sauce. It was niiice.. there was calamari and fried prawns for the starters. Everything was lovely. The atmosphere, the food and especially the company. JQ, Malik sb, mahira, roohi, omar the music man, irfan and BK. Good times.

After the fact, mahira and I stuck around for the puddle cake and tea and chatted. I saw ami's orthopedic surgeon Dr. Imtiaz. Took me a while to remember his name but i remembered his face with crystal clarity.

Bless his soul.. he remembered and immediately asked me how Ami was, which of course jump-started my latent memory.

After leaving from there, i went for a nostalgic walk around liberty and bought some jhumkas. Went to dupatta galli and got some teekas and then there was the fresh samosa pakora shop with the hot spicy aaloo mixed pakoras. Soooo good. Bought a pao and then headed to the English Tea House.

Scones and lahori malai with bread n butter pudding with tams. It was the faretheewell tea. My treat this time. This place is so cute. I love the setting and the atmosphere.

For some reason i didn't feel like grabbing pictures everywhere i went. As if my mind was the best camera of this childhood abode and nothing i clicked now could do it justice. My desire for an slr is mounting day by day. Desire... not need!

Post the scones, i went in search of Ajmeer bakery in main mkt which Taro chacha had read had the best fruitcake in town. I finally found after crossing the pathan machli wala making the yummy lahori fried fish in the galli behind main mkt opp. Shezan. Future ref ☺. The old man in the old bakery asked me if i wanted the classic fruit cake or the xmas fruitcake. I asked what the difference was. He explained the xmas fruit cake has lots and lots of REAL fruit. Suffice it to say, thats what we went for. Stopped quickly at erum bajis. She wasnt home so said salam to kamal bhai and went home for tea.

The whole family had tea together with fruitcake followed by Gogos. I had a club sandwich. Then it was off to the airport after alot of shah family hugs and kisses.

The flight had biryani. Good biryani
 It smelled great and the nice flight pursor told me to have it because it was quite good. But i was really really really full. So i just slept through the flight. Landed. Went home. Slept.

Thanks to the Almighty for all the joyous reunions and the yummy food... and for continually keeping me and my loved ones under his protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it speaks to you... share back :)