Monday, September 20, 2004

Birthday Blues

And so it came....

And so it went...

September 15th 2004. Exactly 27 years completed on the planet. Exactly 6 months completed in my current job. Same period spent in Lahore. My first Birthday away from Home.

I had a major problem remembering my age when i turned 19. I kept thinking i was 18 for a good number of years. At 21 I reconciled to the fact that i was indeed out of my teens. Then i started forgetting again. In fact i dont even remember being 23 24 25 .... i remember being 22 coz thats when we all graduated. I remember being 26 coz..
A. Its an even number
B. I changed jobs
C. I changed cities
D. life changed...
E. I became ineligible for the Eurail Youth Flexipass discount or the Youth Hostels across Europe. There goes my plan for a cheap European vacation.

And now i just KNOW im going to have trouble remembering im 27. Which is actually 10 times worse than forgetting 23 24 & 25, because now ppl will just assume im trying to hide my (sigh!) advanced age... well... i'm not. Im resigned to fate :)

Times like these remind me of the movies... "Life moves pretty fast... If you dont stop to take a look around... You could miss it!" Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

i got flowers, cake, cards, a butterfly necklace, a shawl, couple of suits, a copy of The Alchemist, a reaaally nice perfume, a pair of trackpants :) lol, and some money, a limited amount of birthday SMSs, and periodic phone calls in commemoration of the day.

My office ppl pretended not to notice i was aging.. :) Since i usually rounded up the cavalry for the birthday brigade every month, they went as far as to tell me "just coz its your birthday doesnt mean you dont have to arrange everything."
But then they did :) and i got a card and cakes and lots of happy birthday greetings :)

I cant remember what i missed the most about not being in Khi. Whether it was the 12 o' clock midnite routine that im sure we would have passed over on this time, or the friends coming over to hangout for a little while, or the family dropping by en masse... i cant put my finger on it. Maybe it was the fact that i spend the whole day till 10PM in the evening in office working on a presentation. I dunno..

I just know something was missing... it brought a small lump to my throat when i thought about it.. and somehow the journey down memory lane seemed all the more morose and bluesy..

I think its the impending winters. For the first time in a long time I'm going to be in a place where i'll actually feel their impact. Winters are a funny time for me. I've always had my greatest upheavals in the winter solstice. It's no wonder the story of the "Snow Queen" (now a beautifully shot Birdget Fonda Classic) always spoke to me since the very first time i read it in the big fairytales book. It had pictures too. A little boy and girl with windows that met and they had roses growing right outside on the window sill..

I have a funny love hate relationship with the winter months. I LOVE the chill in the air, the pepperminty freshness when you're in Pindi, Isloo or Lahore.. Even in karachi theres that one week when you can wear your sweater and not break a sweat :)

At the same time, theres always been a wierd buzzing feeling in the pit of my stomach when winters roll around. Like somethings about to happen... and i'm never sure what it will be...

Its been the funniest of times.. never the best or the worst... just the funniest... in a funny sort of way... I guess i just dont like feeling cold. And in Karachi, feeling cold is a rarity :) so maybe thats it..

Im tired.. i go sleep..

Cheerios

Princess of the GemWorld

*****************************************************
I dare to dream... so sue me.. :p
GemWorld

Copyright ?© Fars - FS 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it speaks to you... share back :)