Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Its my Life!... hell yeah :)

Why'd i call the blog that? :) well coz its the song thats running on my laptop right now..

I vividly remember the exact moment i was first exposed to my heart throbs new creation. Amsterdam... Midnight.... the european MTV... June 2nd 2000... i cried....
At that point in time when we were all letting go for 4 and a half years of a life we'd grown to love and to hate... with the upcoming convocation... the impending entry into the big bad world of 9 to 5 workdays (little did we know) and 366 days a year of khwari... of the goodbyes that had to be said to an every day association that was to be brutally rend asunder ... a gaping hole had started forming in our hearts and was slowly sucking the joy out of everyday existence...
i'd just left right after giving my last final final in my CBM ensconsed life.. taken off for the netherlands for a blissful 6 weeks in the prime period of job hunting... basically i just figured milni hogi to baad mein bhi mil jai gi... tension kyoun lein bhai...

and amidst all the confusion.. there it was... 'It's my Life'... by the love of my life... Bon jovi.. me n my best friend have come to a good compromise on this front since he's also the love of her life.. we figure in this one instance we can be understanding and gush over him collectively.. :) But regardless, i heard the song... and i cried.. because at that instance in time and in all instances to follow, that song defined me... it defined all the things i wanted to scream out to the world.. it defined my entire philosophy of life and existance... it shouted out 'LIVE' and let live.. and it gave you courage not to fear the future but to embrace the present... because the future will never be yours to embrace :)... all you have is today... you will ALWAYS have Today...
and so i cried..

i cried even more when i learnt that Bon jovi had a massive concert planned in Rotterdam on September 1st 2000 and i was flying out on the 10th of July... i even contemplated extending my stay or going BACK for it :) but the fact the the tickets for the concert got released for sale on june 6th and sold out by the end of the day on June 6th kinda sealed the deal as well :) ...

It was a beautiful time in my life... Amsterdam will always be my dream city.. my ambition in life at that time was to get a job, get shifted to Amsterdam and own the apartment next to the Armada Hotel on Keizergracht... thats where we'd stayed for a week with khala khalu and the kids in aug 1997 on our way back from america..

i spent those 6 weeks wandering the canal sides of Amsterdams cobbelstoned streets... alone! :) lol... at 22 that was a huge thing for me.. ami had twisted her ankle earlier so every morning, i used to just grab my knapsack with my camera and some money, walk down to the Aerdenhout-Hemsteade train terminal (about 5 minutes from khals house) and take the beautiful train down to the Amsterdam Centraal station.... and then i just divided the city up through my map and my online research ( yes yes.. Turkey was the not the first time ive done that :) and i went everywhere... the university which lies smackdab in the middle of the city.. Dam square with its open air music concerts and mimes... Rembrandtplein the sweetest most active square in Amsterdam.. had a cinema and McDonalds and road side cafes and the skies were always blue and cloudy... :) and since i hate the sun that was my vision of perfection so there you go :)...

Every single photograph i took was Postcard quality.. the city lends it self to photography so brilliantly, it takes ur breath away... and i wandered those streets day after day, eating the mayo fries and the apple turnover (ahhh... major craving :) ... a couple of day i took the train down in the opposite direction to Leiden.. the walled city... spent an entire day walking around that.. that day was sunny... saw a beautiful church... sat on bridge and had my lunch... had an ice cream bar in the sunny day... the reason i remember the icecream was because A. it was the twix icecream :) and B. It was sunny in Holland.. both things were novelties for me..

And thus began my neverending love affair of everything Dutch :) i came back asking God for two thing in my Job, a Dutch company and saturdays off... came back and he made me join Philips... :) I love Allah mian..

I came back and ami n nani were still in Amsterdam.. so for about a month, my driver and i experimented in the kitchen with veggies and rotis lol :)... apnay haath ka khana pata nahin kyun buht ziyada acha lagta hai... but seriously, when i cook, i cook for me... and since i love to eat what i love to eat obviously whatever i cook i will love.. :) abu was a jaan and used eat everything up.. the bhindis and tori's and daals and tehri mehri roties that me and aquil used to cook up... and always have something nice to say... lol... i think he was just happy i was exhibiting some remotely female domesticated tendencies... :) ... the secret ingredient to making everything taste damn good... Chat Masala.. :) i just liberally doused everything i cooked with it at the initial stages and whatever mush used to come together was damn nice tasting mush...

:) Its really my life mashallah... every step of the way as i look back from that day till today... since the first time bon jovi brought tears to my eyes by proclaiming to the world what i'd been screaming silently in my heart.... I made that conscious effort.... and its really truly been a good life... mashallah... apart from the instances where i felt a bit stifled by the close mindedness of it all.. its been my terms and my decisions.. and i've managed to be happy inspite of everything and inspite of not having a long term plan.. :)

Life is for the living... its for the dare-devilish, big of heart, strong of spirit, staunch of faith... and to each his own...

Btw my new operator logo on my phone is a really cute flower 3d logo.. theyre very cute...

:) ok i gotta go ... lunch time..

cheerios

Princess of the GemWorld


*****************************************************
I dare to dream... so sue me.. :p
GemWorld

Copyright © Fars - FS 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment

If it speaks to you... share back :)